The Fairchild Republic A-10C Thunderbolt II (ICAO: A10 / WAKE: MEDIUM) is a close air support, twin-engine, straight wing jet aircraft. Created in Second Life by the Omega Concern, the aircraft was based on the real-life A-10 Thunderbolt II developed by Fairchild-Republic in the early 1970s.
The real-life A-10 Thunderbolt II is the only United States Air Force (USAF) production aircraft designed solely for close air support, including attacking tanks, armored vehicles, and other ground targets with limited air defenses. The A-10's official name comes from the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt of World War II, a fighter that was particularly effective at close air support. The A-10 is more commonly known by its nicknames "Warthog" or "Hog". Its secondary mission is to provide airborne forward air control, directing other aircraft in attacks on ground targets.
The A-10 was designed around the 30 mm GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon that is its primary armament. The A-10's airframe was designed for durability, with measures such as 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of titanium aircraft armour to protect the cockpit and aircraft systems, enabling it to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue flying. The A-10A single-seat variant was the only version built, though one A-10A was converted to an A-10B twin-seat version. In 2005, a program was begun to upgrade remaining A-10A aircraft to the A-10C configuration.
- Pilot's heads-up display (HUD) attachment with:
- First and third person views.
- Weapon reticles for each ordinance type.
- Multi-function display (MFD) toggle, turbofan on/off, countermeasures automatic/manual, autopilot, OCS on/off, lights, canopy, egress, flaps, and landing gear switches.
- Artificial horizon, g-meter, throttle, airspeed, mach number, altitude, fuel Level, pitch trim, flight path angle, compass, flight path vector, acceleration and ordinance/combat indicators.
- Interior lighting (instrument panel illumination).
- Exterior lighting (formation, anti-collision and landing lights).
- Animated components (canopy, engines, landing gear, flight surfaces etc.).
- x4 speed modes (slow, normal, fast and very fast).
- Ground collision avoidance system (GCAS).
- ReCall crash recovery system.
- LLCS & OCS combat systems with:
- Mk24 Zuni rockets.
- Mk82 and Mk84 unguided bombs.
- GBU-10 Paveway II, GBU-12 Paveway II and GBU-38 JDAM guided bombs.
- AGM-65G/H Maverick and AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles.
- GAU-8/a Avenger 30mm cannon.
- Countermeasures suite, flares/chaff.
- ACES II emergency ejection system.
- Radar warning receiver (RWR).
- Proprietary fuel system: Refuelling and rearming are accomplished by landing/shutting down at the departure location.
- Owner or group use.