Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina (ICAO: CAT / WAKE: MEDIUM) is a high-wing, twin-radial engine, amphibious aircraft. Created in Second Life by Spijkers & Wingtips, Adrenaloids and Virtual Syl Designs, the aircraft was based on the real-life PBY Catalina produced by Consolidated Aircraft.
The real-life Catalina was one of the most widely used seaplanes of World War II, serving with every branch of the United States Armed Forces and in the air forces and navies of many other nations. PBYs were used in anti-submarine warfare, patrol bombing, convoy escorts, search and rescue missions, and cargo transport. Introduced in October 1941, the PBY-5A variant was equipped with hydraulically actuated, retractable tricycle landing gear for amphibious operation. It also introduced a tail gun position, replaced bow single gun position with bow "eyeball" turret equipped with twin .30 machine guns (some later units), improved armor, and self-sealing fuel tanks.
The PBY was the most numerous aircraft of its kind and the last active military PBYs were not retired from service until the 1980s. In 2015, nearly 80 years after its first flight, the aircraft continues to fly as a water-bomber in aerial fire-fighting operations all over the world.
- Pilot's heads-up display (HUD) attachment with:
- Power on/off, left/right engine ignition, landing gear, breaks, lights, landing lights, fuel system on/off, passenger eject, lock/unlock, floats up/down, flysafe, chat on/off, cabin lights, co-pilot, and show/hide instruments switches.
- Airspeed, compass, artificial horizon, vertical speed, RPM, and altimeter indicators.
- Functioning cockpit instruments with:
- Altimeter, vertical speed, airspeed, compass, artificial horizon, and fuel gauge indicators.
- Interior lighting (cabin lights).
- Exterior lighting (landing, beacon, strobe, and navigation lights).
- Animated components (x2 entry hatches, x2 internal doors, landing gear, propeller, wing-mounted floats, ailerons, rudder, and elevators).
- Optional simulated fuel (DSA Fuel).