Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The MD Helicopters MD-500E (ICAO: H500 / WAKE: LIGHT) is a light utility civilian and military helicopter. Created in Second Life by Spijkers & Wingtips and Virtual Syl Designs, the helicopter was based on the real-life MD-500E produced by MD Helicopters.
A member of the MD-500 series of light utility helicopters, real-life MD-500E is an executive version of the 500D with recontoured nose. The 500 series features shock-absorbing landing skid struts, a turboshaft engine mounted at a 45-degree angle toward the rear of the cabin pod, a fuel tank cell under the floor and the battery in the nose. The engine exhaust port is located at the end of the cabin pod underneath the tail boom. It has a short-diameter main rotor system and a short tail, giving it an agile control response and is less susceptible to weather-cocking.
The second of two mesh-modelled MD-500 helicopters created by Spijkers & Wingtips, the MD-500E is the result of a collaborative effort between S&W and Virtual Syl Designs. While equipped with many of the same features as its predecessor, the 500E has more in common with the latest generation of S&W aircraft - such as a highly detailed mesh model, improved flight physics, realistic lighting, emergency floatation system, opening/closing doors and animated cockpit instruments. Although not necessary for flight, the aircraft also comes with a standard S&W pilot's heads-up display (HUD). Like all S&W helicopters, the aircraft uses an incremental collective/cyclic flight system and is fully modifiable.
- Pilot's heads-up display (HUD) attachment with:
- Airspeed, compass, vertical horizon, RPM, vertical speed, and altitude indicators.
- Multifunctional Information Distribution System (MIDS) with region mapping.
- Main power, floats toggle, control mode toggle, FlySafe toggle, hold altitude, co-pilot control, hover mode, fuel toggle, lights toggle, combat system, search light, lock/unlock, siren, winch/cargo hook control, MIDS, and camera control switches.
- Functioning cockpit instruments with:
- Altimeter, vertical speed, airspeed, compass, artificial horizon, and fuel gauge indicators.
- Electronic flight instrument system (EFIS) with region mapping.
- Instrument lighting.
- Animated components (instruments, main rotor, tail rotor, and x4 doors).
- Realistic lighting (navigation lights, strobes, beacon, and front-facing search light).
- Emergency floatation system (optional).
- Incremental collective/cyclic flight system.
- Optional simulated fuel (DSA Fuel).