The MD Helicopters MD-520N (ICAO: MD52 / WAKE: LIGHT) is a light utility civilian and military helicopter. Created in Second Life by Omega Concern, the helicopter was based on the real-life MD-520N produced by MD Helicopters.
A member of the MD-500 series of light utility helicopters, real-life MD-520N introduced a revolutionary advance in helicopter design, dispensing with a conventional anti-torque tail rotor in favour of the Hughes/McDonnell Douglas developed NOTAR system. Exhaust from a fan is directed through slots in the tail boom, using the Coandă effect to counteract the torque of the main rotor, and a controllable thruster at the end of the tail boom is used for yaw control. Because the fan is enclosed in the tail boom, tail rotor noise—the major source of noise from most conventional helicopters—was significantly reduced. It also eliminated the vulnerable exposed tail rotor blades, eliminating the possibility of persons being injured or killed on the ground and the cause for many confined area manoeuvring accidents
- Pilot's heads-up display (HUD).
- 12 menu-selectable liveries: TC, Blue Jive, Green Twist, Tiger, Police 1, Police 2, Fire 1, Fire 2, Coast Guard, Matte Grey, Matte Olive, and Matte Black.
- Proximity Warning System (PWS) & Advanced Collision Avoidance System (ACAS).
- Realistic two-stage, single turbine and rotor simulation allowing real-world manoeuvres such as auto-rotations and spins, and damage to individual turbine and rotor systems.
- Physics-based flight model with ground effect, wind, turbulence and visual dust and water effects.
- Realistic lighting (navigation lights, strobes, beacon, and front-facing search light).
- Simulated collision and combat damage via OCS combat system.
- Owner/Guest mode access.
- Simulated fuel (proprietary fuel system).